Premises licence

Apply for a premises licence if you intend to sell alcohol or provide ‘licensable activities’ from a particular venue, unless you have a temporary event notice or club premises certificate.

Licensable activities include:

  • sale of alcohol by retail (including via the internet or mail order)
  • wholesale of alcohol to members of the public
  • supply of alcohol by or on behalf of a club to, or to the order of, a member of the club
  • provision of regulated entertainment
  • provision of late night refreshment

You still need a licence even if the activities are for charity.

The rules regarding premises licences are in the Licensing Act 2003 and the Licensing Act 2003 (Premises licences and club premises certificates) Regulations 2005.


You don’t need a licence for some types of entertainment, including:

  • educational or promotional films
  • films shown as part of an exhibition in a museum or gallery
  • incidental music (live or recorded)


You must be, or appoint, a designated premises supervisor (DPS) when you apply for a licence. A DPS must have a personal licence to sell alcohol.

There may be other conditions added to your licence, such as having an age-checking policy if you sell alcohol.

Before you start

You’ll need to provide:

  • your details
  • a consent form for the Designated Premises Supervisor if alcohol is to be sold (the person nominated will need to have a personal licence)
  • a plan of the premises showing certain criteria
  • an operating schedule (details of licensable activity hours, opening hours and how you will support the licensing objectives)
  • confirmation that the application needs to advertised at the premises by way of a notice and notice published in a local newspaper (within deadlines advised by licensing)
  • a copy of a relevant document proving you have the right to work in the UK
  • the application fee 

Premises licence fees

You’ll be charged a fee that’s based on the rateable value of the property.

Most premises licences have an unlimited duration but you will have to pay an annual fee.

Non-domestic rateable value
Application for grant
Application for variation
Application for minor variation
Annual fee
Band A 
(£0 - £4,300)
£100 £100 £89 £70
Band B 
(£4,301 - £33,000)
£190 £190 £89 £180
Band C 
(£33,001 - £87,000)
£315 £315 £89 £295
Band D 
(£87,001 - £125,000)
£450 £450 £89 £320
Band E 
£635 £635 £89 £350

Other premises licence fees

  • Application for a copy following theft or loss - £10.50
  • Notification of change of name or address - £10.50
  • Application to vary to specify an individual as a Designated Premises Supervisor (DPS) - £23.00
  • Application to transfer a premises licence - £23.00
  • Application for interim authority notice following death of licence holder - £23.00

Additional application and annual fees 

There are additional fees to pay for activities which involve 5,000 or more people.

Number of people Application fee Annual fee
5,000 - 9,999 £1,000 £500
10,000 - 14,999 £2,000 £1,000
15,000 - 19,999 £4,000 £2,000
20,000 - 29,999 £8,000 £4,000
30,000 - 39,999 £16,000 £8,000
40,000 - 49,999 £24,000 £12,000
50,000 - 59,999 £32,000 £16,000
60,000 - 69,999 £40,000 £20,000
70,000 - 79,999 £48,000 £24,000
80,000 - 89,999 £56,000 £28,000
90,000 and over £64,000 £32,000

Apply or amend a premises licence - online forms

Apply or amend a premises licence - application forms

Supporting documentation

A plan of 1:100 scale (unless otherwise arrange with HBC Licensing Officers) of the premises which should include the following details:

  • location and extent of the boundary of the building, if relevant, and any external and internal walls of the building and, if different, the perimeter of the premises
  • location of points of access to and exit from the premises
  • in a case where the premises is used for more than one existing licensable activity, the area within the premises used for each activity
  • in case where an existing licensable activity relates to the sale of alcohol, the location or locations on the premises which is or are used for the consumption of alcohol; Fixed structures (including furniture) or similar objects temporarily in a fixed location (but not furniture) which may impact on the ability of individuals on the premises to use exits or escape routes without impediment
  • in a case where the premises includes any steps, stairs elevators or lifts, the location of steps, stairs, elevators or lifts
  • in a case where the premises includes any room or rooms containing public conveniences, the location of the room or rooms
  • location and type of any fire safety and any other safety equipment
  • location of a kitchen, if any, on the premises

After you've made an application

There is a 28 day period during which the responsible authorities and any other person can make representations about a new premises licence application. If no representations are received within this 28 day period, the application is granted with the relevant mandatory conditions and any conditions consistent with your operating schedule.

If representations are received, the application process can take longer as a licensing sub-committee might need to be arranged to to hear the application.

Displaying your application notice

You must display your ‘application notice’ at or on the premises for 28 days from the day after it was submitted.

Appealing a decision

If your licence application is refused, you can appeal. Appeals should be made to the Magistrates Court within 21 days of being notified of the Licensing Authority's decision.

You can also appeal against any conditions attached to your premises licence, including a decision to:

  • exclude a licensable activity from the licence
  • exclude a person from being the DPS
  • reject a variation application or a transfer application

Displaying your licence

You must display the ‘licence summary’ at your premises where it can be easily seen.

The other pages of the licence should be kept safely at the premises. Police or council officers can ask to inspect them at any time.